Cooling Advisor (x2 positions)
Context and Objective of Assignment
SEforALL seeks a dynamic and highly motivated professional who can support the Energy Efficiency & Cooling team to deliver activities within the Sustainable Cooling for All and Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development programmes to support achieving Sustainable Development Goal 7.
Duties and Accountabilities
The role of the Cooling Advisor will be to provide support to the Cooling for All Secretariat at SEforALL. The incumbent will be expected to work from home. There is no expectation of business travel.
The main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Support countries and implementing agencies in the development of policies and commitments that support increased access to cooling, including national cooling plans, cold chain strategies, sustainable cooling commitments in Nationally Determined Contributions, and other market preparation activities.
- Manage and share knowledge, data, and best practices for national policymaking that increases access to sustainable cooling and work with governments and stakeholders to expand their use.
- Liaise with country-based stakeholders and implementing agencies to raise awareness of the benefits of access to sustainable cooling and work with them to identify actionable opportunities to implement new policies or generate new commitments.
- Support the Cooling for All Secretariat in identifying market barriers and opportunities for access to cooling finance in priority countries.
- Support the development and implementation of the Cooling for All Needs Assessment and Solutions Assessment toolkit.
- Support the implementation of #ThisIsCool communication campaign.
- Participate in and contribute to other SEforALL work programmes, and knowledge sharing as applicable.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area (e.g. Economics, Engineering, Public Policy, Environmental Studies). A Master’s or other advanced degree will be considered an advantage.
- Three to ten years of relevant working experience (e.g. sustainable cooling, energy efficiency analysis, policy making, technology research) with work experience in international development, a United Nations organization or government an advantage
- Proven experience in engaging with public, private and civil society organization partners in an international and country context.
- Strong understanding of policy and regulation making processes related to sustainable energy, energy efficiency and adaptation to climate change. passion for sustainable development, interest in the clean energy transition and demonstrated experience in cooling and/or energy efficiency.
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in another language is desirable.
- Experience in working to high quality standards with tight deadlines in collaboration with a team.
- Experience in a fast paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to results.
- Excellent research, analysis, presentation and writing skills, including extensive knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Understanding of sustainable cooling, energy efficiency and sustainable energy policies, strategies, institutions and practices related to SEforALL’s mandate.
- Experience in or knowledge of developing country conditions in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia or Latin America is considered an advantage.
- Ability to work with others to create, synthesize and/or share relevant knowledge and to stimulate its use.
- Professionalism and Personal Leadership: Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Demonstrates good judgment and discretion when handling sensitive materials. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues.
- Analysis: Demonstrated excellent research and analytical skills that can be applied to generate knowledge products and support policy making.
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability will be a premier and delivery expected.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills and proven document drafting ability; ability to interact with senior level UN staff, with ambassadors, high-level diplomats, and with senior government officials including Prime ministerial and Ministerial level as well as to develop contacts, foster collaboration with UN and with other stakeholders; deliver presentations, advocate for viewpoints and participate actively in internal as well as external debates and negotiations. Ability to craft messages and communiques, and copy edit work to produce effective written communications. Familiarity and appreciation of social media.
- Teamwork: Work with colleagues within SEforALL and with partners in government and organizations. Support colleagues, encourage others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Support and act in accordance with group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Share credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
- Personal: Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude. Demonstrates behavior of professional and personal ethics transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behavior from colleagues in the work place. Sensitivity to other people’s cultural and religious norms and the ability to easily blend with others. Proven ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information. Exhibits diplomacy, loyalty and commitment to SEforALL’s goals. Sense of humor is an advantage.
Our Values - please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.