Energy and Health Consultant
Context of Assignment
The overall goal of this assignment is to support SEforALL’s Energy & Health intervention, which works to bring about the systemic changes needed to achieve universal electrification of health facilities by 2030.
Objective, Scope and Approach
The objective of this assignment is to support the Lead Energy Access Specialist in executing SEforALL’s Energy & Health intervention. This will involve:
- Drawing on and extending the evidence base to advocate for greater priority given to and financing for energy access in health facilities.
- Engaging in thought leadership and knowledge exchange to equip key decision makers with the tools and capabilities needed to more effectively and efficiently design, finance, and implement energy interventions within the health sector.
To deliver on the above objectives and defined deliverable's, the selected consultant will undertake the following:
- Manage the development and completion of several knowledge products, including a state of play report and energy needs assessment toolkit. This will entail all aspects of day-to-day project management, including developing concept notes, evaluating, hiring and managing consultants, and helping disseminate results. The Consultant will also be responsible for helping cultivate and manage partnerships in relation to these products.
- Support implementation of workshops and multi-stakeholder dialogues to enable capacity- and collation-building in support of the intervention. This may include several events to take place at the next SEforALL Forum in Kigali, Rwanda in May 2020.
- Keep the Energy & Health knowledge portal (www.poweringhc.org) updated and work with SEforALL’s Communications team to develop regular email and/or social media communications.
- Handle correspondence with members of the interventions’ Informal Technical Working Group; arrange regular quarterly telephone and video conference calls, circulating agendas in advance and minutes following.
- Help foster and manage relationships with partners in coordination with the Lead Energy Access Specialist and the Director of Partnerships.
- Work collaboratively with the Lead Energy Access Specialist for the purpose of refining the Energy & Health workplan as new opportunities and needs arise.
- Participate in regular Policy Team meetings.
- Other tasks that emerge in a fast-moving high-level policy environment, as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in energy, social sciences (policy, economics, sustainable development), or a closely related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in international development, public policy or international development, with specializations in off-grid energy and and/or the energy-health nexus being highly desirable.
- Experience managing complex, multi-stakeholder projects.
- Experience delivering high-quality reports and other written products.
- Solid command of the English language.
- Fluency with all relevant Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Attention to detail and advanced research and writing skills.
- Experience producing content suitable for external communication, for example social media, newsletter, articles, and website content is desirable.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to handle quick-turnaround tasks alongside sustained projects.