Energy Efficiency and Cooling Associate
SEforALL seeks a dynamic and highly motivated professional who can join the Energy Efficiency & Cooling team to deliver activities within the Sustainable Cooling for All and Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development programmes to support achieving Sustainable Development Goal 7.
Duties and Accountabilities
The role of the Energy Efficiency & Cooling Associate will be to provide support across the breadth of activities being undertaken in energy efficiency and cooling. The main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Support the Sustainable Cooling for All programme and the Global Panel on Access to Cooling to enable increased access to sustainable cooling for human comfort & productivity, for food & nutrition and for medical & health care.
- Support countries to develop and enhance national cooling plans, cold chain strategies and national sustainable cooling commitments (NDCs).
- Support the development and implementation of the Cooling for All Needs Assessment and Solutions Assessment toolkit.
- Conduct research, data collection and analysis of sustainable cooling access gaps.
- Lead the development of visual aids, graphics, and data stories related to cooling access gaps to be featured in the Chilling Prospects series.
- Support the implementation of #ThisIsCool communication campaign.
- Support the Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development programme to accelerate energy efficiency progress by elevating the collective effort of Three Percent Club partners with coordinated tools, approaches and actions in target countries and sectors.
- Collaborate with partners and countries to prioritize action on policies, technology deployment and business models that will enable market transformation to sustainable energy development and the implementation of energy efficiency in country and at the local level with cities.
- Support the development and improvement of SEforALL’s strategy and theory of change on energy efficiency and cooling, including by using results analysis to prioritize activities, by identifying collaboration partners, and developing a visual description to gain commitment from leadership, partners and funders.
- Work with other teams within SEforALL to support the development of knowledge and implementation work products that utilize the breadth of skills at SEforALL.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area (e.g. Economics, Engineering, Public Policy, Environmental Studies). A Master’s or other advanced degree will be considered an advantage.
- Minimum three years of relevant working experience (e.g. sustainable cooling, health or agriculture sectors, energy efficiency analysis, policy making, technology research).
- Extended expertise in at least one energy discipline, with a desire specifically in energy efficiency and/or cooling and cold chains.
- Preference for candidates with additional expertise in other energy sector and energy access disciplines.
- Excellent research, analysis, presentation and writing skills, including extensive knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge in data analysis programming, data visualization, mapping or graphic software will be considered an advantage.
- A passion for sustainable development, interest in the clean energy transition and demonstrated experience in cooling and/or energy efficiency.
- Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in another language is desirable.
- Experience in operating across multiple time zones and with distributed teams.
- Experience in working to high quality standards with tight deadlines in collaboration with a team.
- Experience in a fast paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to results. Previous experience in international development, a United Nations organization is an advantage.
- Proven experience in engaging with public, private and civil society organization partners in an international and country context.
- Understanding of sustainable cooling landscape as well as energy efficiency and sustainable energy policies, strategies, institutions and practices related to SEforALL’s mandate.
- Experience in or knowledge of developing country conditions in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia or Latin America is considered an asset.
- Ability to work with others to create, synthesize and/or share relevant knowledge and to stimulate its use.
- Professionalism and Personal Leadership: Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Demonstrates good judgment and discretion when handling sensitive materials. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues.
- Analysis: Demonstrated excellent research and analytical skills that can be applied to gather data and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making.
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment where adaptability will be a premier and delivery expected.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills and proven drafting ability; ability to interact with senior level UN staff, with ambassadors, high-level diplomats, and with senior government officials including Prime ministerial and Ministerial level as well as to develop contacts, foster collaboration with UN and with other stakeholders; Deliver presentations, advocate for viewpoints and participate actively in internal as well as external debates and negotiations. Ability to craft messages and communiques, and copy edit work to produce flawless written communications. Familiarity and appreciation of social media.
- Teamwork: Work with colleagues across all teams within SEforALL and with partners across work units, departments, divisions of the Member States. Support colleagues, establish a team culture, encourage others to participate in teamwork and share responsibility for decision-making and results. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Demonstrated ability to work with teams representing a wide variety of staffing levels that also cut across agencies and partners, and work without direct authority to deliver timely and high quality products. Strong team player capabilities.
- Personal: Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude. Demonstrates behavior of professional and personal ethics transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behavior from colleagues in the work place. Sensitivity to other people’s cultural and religious norms and the ability to easily blend with others. Must have shown to have the ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information. Exhibits diplomacy, loyalty and commitment to SEforALL’s goals. Sense of humor is an advantage. Demonstrated excellent research and analytical skills that can be applied to gather data and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making functions.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna and Washington and modern workplace arrangements in terms of flexibility and results orientation.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.