The overall objective of the role is to support SEforALL’s efforts to unlock finance for sustainable energy across its various work streams. The Finance Specialist will support the Lead Finance Specialist in delivering SEforALL’s interventions for which she is intervention lead, principally the Energizing Finance research series, and provide strategic input into broader SEforALL initiatives relating to sustainable energy finance. The successful candidate will interact with a wide range of people within and outside the UN system and SEforALL.
The Finance Specialist will be a dynamic and highly motivated professional who provides effective coordination, work program development and delivery across key programs and relationships. The position requires excellent problem solving capability backed with analytics, political understanding, good judgment, well developed communication skills and strong delivery capacity.
The selected candidate will report to SEforALL’s Director, Policy & Programmes. The Finance Specialist will be supervised through individual meetings with the supervisor, regular team meetings and through periodic performance appraisals.
The Finance Specialist will work alongside and in close coordination with the Lead Finance Specialist. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provide technical input and facilitate coordination of SEforALL’s research partnership on Energizing Finance to map public and private, international and domestic finance commitments for electricity and clean cooking access in countries with large access deficits.
- Conduct research and analysis on funding mechanisms and related policy, regulatory and governance structures to enable access to modern energy services, to support the Lead Finance Specialist in developing strategy to help unlock finance to achieve SEforALL objectives, especially in high impact countries. Support implementation of this strategy and participate in developing and implementing SEforALL business and work plans as required.
- Support the Lead Finance Specialist’s work to develop and implement strategic interventions and partnerships to advance universal access to electricity and clean cooking in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, with a specific focus on unlocking finance. This includes supporting the Lead Finance Specialist’s work with the Lead Energy Access and Gender Specialist and partners, to design and offer strategic support that can help direct capital to gender responsive and socially inclusive energy businesses that support faster delivery of sustainable access solutions in priority countries.
- Draft correspondence with external consultants, steering committee members and other relevant stakeholders to help deliver the Energizing Finance work program as well as other interventions for which the Lead Finance Specialist is SEforALL’s intervention lead. Arrange regular telephone and video conference calls, preparing and circulating agendas in advance and minutes following.
- Assist the Lead Finance Specialist and SEforALL’s Communications team to develop and disseminate case studies and communications collateral to help increase awareness around financing mechanisms, business models and complementary policy/ regulatory success stories. Work closely with SEforALL colleagues and external consultants to visualize and communicate data and analysis.
- Support implementation of SEforALL led and other events that convene SEforALL’s finance sector stakeholders, e.g. the SEforALL Forum in 2020, and assist in convening workshops and multistakeholder dialogues in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia to enable capacity- and coalition- building in support of SDG7.
- Provide input into briefs on finance to support the SRSG/CEO as required.
- Provide operational support to assist with procurement and other administrative processes, such as shared file drive organization and maintenance, as needed.
- Participate in regular Policy Team meetings.
- Undertake other tasks that emerge in a fast-moving, dynamic, high-level policy environment, as needed.
The role requires regular international travel.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant subject area; economics, finance, law, public policy, energy or a closely related field. E.g. Environmental Studies, Engineering, Business Administration.
- 4-10 years relevant work experience in international finance, the energy sector or public policy, with specializations in renewable energy, energy efficiency, climate finance or energy access highly desirable.
- Outstanding project management abilities, strong organizational skills, proven ability to operate effectively in a high pressure environment and ability to handle quick-turnaround tasks alongside sustained projects.
- Prior experience working with senior level stakeholders from the public and private sectors and civil society.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of one or more additional languages will be considered an asset.
- Advanced research and writing skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to draft quickly and concisely, with proven experience delivering high-quality reports and other written work product.
- Experience producing content suitable for external communication, for example social media, newsletter articles and web content.
- Fluency with all relevant Microsoft programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and familiarity with customer relationship management (CRM) systems and cloud-based platforms such as Sharepoint.
- Demonstrated success working in a collegiate and collaborative team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills.
- Flexible, responsive and diligent approach to work.
- Commitment to SEforALL’s goals.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna and Washington and modern workplace arrangements in terms of flexibility and results orientation.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.