Head of Human Resources
Background on SEforALL:
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an International Organization operating a world-wide multi-stakeholder platform focused on the delivery of Sustainable Development Goal #7. Launched as a UN initiative in 2011 by the Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-Moon, SEforALL is widely acknowledged for its achievement in raising global awareness of the world's sustainable energy challenges, ensuring they were included in the UN's Sustainable Development Goals. SEforALL is governed by an independent board and its management team is led by its CEO. Currently, the CEO also serves as the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All, as well as co-chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy, the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) and the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 on ensuring universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services by 2030 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris agreements involves transformation at a scale never undertaken by humanity before. Swift action needs to be taken by leaders in governments, companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions and communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As a global team, SEforALL crafts interventions that support these leaders in accelerating the delivery of actions. All interventions comprise one or more of SEforALL’s competencies: (i) to marshal the evidence, (ii) to benchmark progress towards SEforALL objectives, (iii) to amplify the voices of the energy poor; (iv) to tell stories of success, and (v) to connect stakeholders to each other and to solutions. All interventions systematically draw on strategic insight, build on compelling communications, and are delivered through and include action-oriented partnerships.
Context and Objective of Assignment: SEforALL employs approximately 50 professionals, operating out of the SEforALL headquarters in Vienna, Austria, and from offices in New York and Washington DC in the United States. To support the ongoing growth and strategic direction of the organization, SEforALL now seeks a dynamic, resourceful, problem-solving senior HR professional, who, working as part of the organization’s leadership team and with direct interaction with senior management, will continue SEforALL’s development as the organization of choice for sustainable energy professionals.
Duties and Accountabilities
The Head of HR manages the HR function and activities for SEforALL. The position provides guidance on all aspects of human resources to the CEO, managers and staff while also continually improving, implementing, and delivering on all key processes.
Strategic HR Management
- Supports the development of SEforALL as an organization of choice for sustainable energy professionals by providing ongoing guidance, interpretation, and technical support to management in all aspects of HR.
- Provides accurate, sound and data-based technical analysis to management to support the strategic staffing, organization design, and change management.
- Conducts regular reviews of policies, procedures, and practices; develops and recommends improvements as necessary, and ensures timely communication of changes in policies and procedures to staff and management.
Recruitment & Selection (Talent Management)
- Supports, implements and administers effective and timely talent sourcing, including recruiting, developing and retaining the best talents available to support the strategic needs of the organization, and establishing and monitoring recruitment indicators to ensure timely completion and quality of recruitment.
- At the direction of the CEO and in consultation with managers, develop and implement annual recruitment plans and sound budgets to coordinate targeted recruitment.
- Promotes, transparency, and consistency in the selection of staff and consultants.
- Provides technical guidance to managers on all aspects of recruitment and selection of staff and consultants.
- Provides structured approach to the secondment of staff to and from partner organisations.
- Monitors the implementation of the SEforAll Performance Management system.
- Develops human resources policies, systems and procedures as and when required.
- Ensures timely, equitable, transparent and systematic administration of all staff benefits including contracts extensions and termination.
- Reviews job descriptions in line with job classification, guidelines, procedures and related requirements.
- Reviews office structures, operations and updates job descriptions as needed.
- Develops HR annual work plan in consultation with the CEO.
- Supports annual HR budget planning.
Staff development and Career Development
- Identifies organizational learning needs and priorities based on direction from the CEO and consultation with programme managers.
- Designs, conducts and facilitates in-house learning and staff development activities.
- Track individual staff development requests through the performance management system and take follow-up actions.
- Promotes continuous learning, staff development and career development, in close collaboration with the managers and input from the SEforALL monitoring, evaluation and learning team.
- Supports staff and managers to conduct career conversations and performance feedback process.
- Establishes feedback mechanisms through information networks to further support continuous learning and lessons learned, i.e. exit interviews.
HR Transaction Management and Delivery
- Maintains operational statistics and staff lists, prepares related monthly, quarterly and annual reports; maintains administrative steps in support of HR systems, processes and practices
- Administers the Bamboo HR system and other relevant software for leave and attendance and time management.
- Supports all SEforALL recruitment processes, identifying appropriate contractual modalities and necessary administrative and contracts management steps, and ensuring compliance with SEforALL’s policies and processes.
- Serves as focal point with respect to time and attendance, and administering and processing payments and benefits to staff and short term consultants, and other related administrative issues.
- Arranges effective onboarding and exit of staff, working closely with managers and other SEforALL staff members as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master's Degree - Advanced university degree in human resources management, business or public administration, law or related field
- Thorough knowledge of human resources principles, management and practices as well as procedures and operations in an international organization.
- Proven ability to be a collaborative leader and creative problem solver who has demonstrated success as a transformational leader in building and leading a high performing team.
- Minimum of 12 years progressively responsible experience in human resources, of which at least five years in position with accountability for specific processes and significant exposure to and responsibility for direct interaction with management and staff, including at least four of the following ten areas: (i) Talent Management and Sourcing (Recruitment); (ii) Performance Management; (iii) Policy development; (iv) Job Classification; (v) Compensation; (vi) Organization design and change management; (vii) HR Business partnership; (viii) Strategic HR planning and management; (ix) Career coaching and counselling; and (x) Learning/ staff development
- Knowledge of best practices in international human resources management in the private sector, international organizations.
- At least 3 years in a strategic partnership role, supporting and influencing senior executive leadership through HR analytics and providing innovative solutions.
- Knowledge of Austrian and US employment law is considered an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Fluency in another language is considered an advantage.