Integrated Energy Planning Consultant
Context and Objective of Assignment:
There is now broad recognition within the development community that integrated energy planning – covering grid, mini-grid and off-grid solutions as well as clean cooking – is key to achieving universal access, and that geospatial modelling provides a low-cost, dynamic and data-driven means of energy prioritization and planning. With the overall goal of helping to deliver universal access to electricity and clean cooking, SEforALL has prioritized the development of Integrated Energy Plans as one of its key pillars in its new 3-year Business Plan.
Through its new Universal Integrated Energy Plans (UIEP) initiative, SEforALL seeks to accelerate the development and adoption of ‘world class’ integrated energy plans (IEPs) as a way of helping high energy access-deficit countries gain a more integrated and data-driven understanding of the technologies and spending required to achieve universal energy access. To do this, SEforALL is working to ‘set the standard’ for what a world class IEP should be and is advocating for the widespread adoption of integrated energy planning to guide universal energy access efforts. SEforALL is also working with governments to showcase, learn from, and commission IEPs.
Under the overall supervision of Director International Relations and Special Projects, and general direction from the SEforALL’s Chief Executive Officer and Chief of Staff, and support from the Lead, Integrated Energy Planning and Powering Health Care, the Consultant will lead SEforALL’s UIEP initiative, ensuring that it is well managed, achieves its objectives and is responsive to changing client/partner needs.
The assignment combines project management and technical support and back-stopping in the field of energy access planning, particulary around Geographic Information System (GIS) and energy modeling. The position requires a dynamic and highly motivated professional with excellent problem-solving capabilities and analytical skills, management and coordination skills, high-level stakeholder engagement and management, sound judgment, communication skills and the capacity to deliver under tight deadlines.
Duties and Accountabilities
The role involves the day-to-day management of Universal Integrated Energy Planning (UIEP) initiative, and responsibility for the functional focus of the discipline. The Consultant will also manage a small team of IEP professionals. The main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Creates standards, guidance and tools that define what a ‘world class’ IEP is and how it should be used and developed; this will involve convening experts and documenting and sharing lessons and best practices among energy planners and modelers.
- Provide tailored advisory support to countries that have developed or are developing an IEP to help them better utilize their IEPs and translate them into policies, finance and action;
- Support governments in developing/enhancing IEPs. This will involve:
- Identifying opportunities to support countries based on where IEPs may not exist or where they could be improved upon (including clean cooking).
- Establishing and managing partnerships with governments and other relevant stakeholders.
- Developing scopes of work based on country needs and opportunities.
- Identifying and evaluating analytical partners to provide geospatial modeling and other technical services.
- Managing and overseeing analytical partners, including providing quality control, technical backstopping and ensuring outputs are delivered according to plan.
- Facilitating stakeholder buy-in and commitments and representing SEforALL in different stakeholder meetings, as needed.
- Build demand for and knowledge of IEPs by organizing high-level events and South-South learning workshops.
- Oversee and manage staff, workplans, budgets and monitoring and reporting related to the
- Consult with the CEO and other Results Offer leaders such as directors and programme managers as appropriate.
- Contribute by representing UIEP topics in other working groups.
- Coordinate different UIEP topics, projects and timelines.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completed relevant Master’s degree in energy, geography, engineering or another related field.
Longstanding or extensive relevant work experience on energy, particularly energy access, of which at at least 3 years must be expertise in electrification planning and/or modeling.
Preference for candidates with demonstrated knowledge of and experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS), remote sensing, spatial analysis and visualization; prior use of these tools and techniques in developing integrated energy plans is an advantage.
Experience working in Africa and/or Asia, specifically with off grid/mini grid actors, energy utilities, energy ministries, local governments, civil society organizations, and other stakeholders.
Experience in a fast-paced environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to results.
Experience in operating across multiple time zones and with distributed teams.
Complete fluency in English with strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Knowledge and ability to work in French is an advantage.
- Professionalism and Personal Leadership: Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, Self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Demonstrates good judgment and discretion when handling sensitive materials. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues. A commitment to the goals of SEforALL and to sustainable development more broadly essential. A good sense of humor. Willingness to “get the job “done with a positive attitude to take on a wide range of tasks. Ability and willingness to adjust to “beyond the normal” working hours and manage the work life balance effectively to accommodate differences in time zones.
- Client Orientation and Delivery: Takes full ownership in ensuring that those to whom the function serves find themselves supported as “clients ”; builds and maintains clients’ trust and respect and builds productive partnerships; actively seeks out to identify clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client. Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
- Planning and Organization: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills and proven drafting ability; ability to develop relationships, foster collaboration within the team and with other stakeholders, deliver presentations and advocate for viewpoints. Ability to craft messages and communiques, and copy edit work to produce flawless written communications is required.
- Analysis and Creativity: Demonstrated excellent numerical and analytical skills that can be applied to gather data and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making functions. Capability and easiness to work with numbers, calculate, and analyze data as well as the ability to summarize and present key-findings. Share knowledge and show initiative to improve existing policies, processes, systems and practices based on analytics.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of relevant available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology in the Energy Access space; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate.