SEforALL at COP24 - Official Side Event: "Energizing Finance: Understanding the Landscape 2018"
Our side event will feature a presentation of key findings from Energizing Finance: Understanding the Landscape 2018, the latest report arising from Sustainable Energy for All’s (SEforALL) groundbreaking research partnership with Climate Policy Initiative (CPI). The report provides first-of-a-kind, systematic analysis of finance flows into two key areas of energy access, electricity and clean cooking, in 20 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia with the world’s largest energy access deficits.
The panel will examine: the role of different financial institutions in funding the energy transition; conducive government policy settings; the paradigm shift required to close the clean cooking access gap; efforts to boost investment in off-grid energy solutions; and innovative financial instruments and structures.
Rachel Kyte, SEforALL CEO and Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General, will provide opening remarks, which will be followed by a presentation of the report's key findings. SEforALL will then engage a panel of leading global financiers and policymakers at the forefront of innovation in a discussion of the policies, institutions and financial instruments necessary to spur the global energy transition and meet Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) targets by 2030.
- Mr. Shegun BAKARI, Advisor to HE Mr. Faure Gnassingbé, President of the Togolese Republic
- Dr. Barbara K BUCHNER, Executive Director, Climate Finance, Climate Policy Initiative
- Mr. Abyd KARMALI, Managing Director, Climate Finance, Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Mr. K S POPLI, Chairman and Managing Director, Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency
- Mr. Hubert Ruzibiza, Chief Executive Officer, Rwanda Green Fund (FONERWA)
Moderated by Olivia COLDREY, Lead Finance Specialist, SEforALL