#ThisIsCool Event - Chilling Prospects: Tracking Sustainable Cooling for All 2021
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is inviting you to join the
#ThisIsCool Event on Wednesday, 5 May 2021.
In 2020, global development efforts stalled as governments worked to address the health, social, and economic consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic. At the same time, 2020 was the hottest year on record, and we learned and that in every region of the world, heatwaves have increased in their frequency and length since the 1950s.
These two factors, coupled with persistent energy access gaps in some of the world’s hottest and most populous countries, mean that the challenge of delivering access to sustainable cooling is likely to continue growing in size and scope.
To watch the event live, join us on this page on 5 May 2021 for the release of Chilling Prospects: Tracking Sustainable Cooling for All 2021, for an update on our global progress on delivering Cooling for All. This year’s report will show the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on global cooling access gaps and discuss where a lack of cold chains could slow the pandemic recovery. The report will also detail new cooling solutions in action across the globe, deliver new national and sub-national data, and share insights on how national governments can measure and respond to access to cooling challenges.
16:00–16:15 CET Introduction
Master of Ceremony: Thin Lei Win, Climate & Food Correspondent, @thinink
Video: Cooling is Not a Luxury 2021
- Francesco Starace, Chair of the SEforALL Administrative Board, Chief Executive Officer and General Manager of Enel S.p.A.
- Damilola Ogunbiyi, CEO and Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy
16:15–16:25 CET Chilling Prospects 2021 Findings
Brian Dean, Head of Energy Efficiency and Cooling, SEforALL
16:25–16:55 CET Panel Discussion: Global Stocktake and the Opportunities Ahead
Moderator: Nicolette Pombo-van Zyl, Editor of ESI Africa
- Jessica Brown, Program Director, Kigali Cooling Efficiency Program
- Toby Peters, Professor of Cold Economy, University of Birmingham
- Sneha Sachar, Consultant, Rocky Mountain Institute
- Lily Riahi, Coordinator, Cool Coalition
16:55–17:00 CET Video: #ThisIsCool
17:00–17:20 CET Solutions in Profile
- Innovation: The Global Cooling Prize (video)
- Cold Chain: Africa Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Cooling, Juliet Kabera, Director General, Rwandan Environmental Management Authority
- Cool Roofs: Million Cool Roofs, Denise Lundall, Project Officer, SANEDI (South Africa)
- Community: Medellin, Green Corridors and Cooling as a Service (video), Alejandro Restrepo Montoya, Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana
- Youth in Action: Triomphant Tchulang (Cameroon) (video)
17:20–17:25 CET Path to Net Zero
Dan Hamza-Goodacre, COP 26 Climate Champions Team
17:25–17:45 CET In Conversation: Cooling and COVID-19
Interviewer: Sara Jerving, Global Health Journalist
- Martina Bosi, Senior Energy Economist, World Bank Group, ESMAP
- Luc Severi, Programme Manager, Powering Healthcare, SEforALL
17:45–17:50 CET Closing Remarks, SEforALL