Sustainable Energy for All Annual Report 2020 Annex - Monitoring Review
The Annual Monitoring Review is an Annex to the Annual Report, providing executive-level data and evidence in support of the external communications document. All programmatic summaries are underpinned by robust 2020 Annual Programme Progress Reports and Programme KPI Management Tools.
Highlights of key achievements in 2020 towards results against our Theory of Change:
- Launched and operationalized the Universal Energy Facility (UEF), a multi-donor Results-Based Financing (RBF) facility, to speed and scale up new energy connections in Sub-Saharan Africa. In 2020, it was opened to mini-grid developers in Sierra Leone and Madagascar. The UEF aims to be a USD 500 million RBF facility to deliver over 2 million energy connections by 2023.
- Co-led preparatory process of the UN High-Level Dialogue on Energy, with SEforALL’s CEO/SRSG named High-level Champion and Co-Chair. SEforALL was selected to lead the process for developing and getting new Energy Compacts signed as a key outcome of the Dialogue.
- Convened 20 key energy and health donors and development partners to exchange information, share learnings and best practices, and discuss increased country-level coordination on health facility electrification.
- Advised the 2020 Presidency of the G20 Energy and Sustainability Working Group on energy access; led the multistakeholder development of a G20 Initiative on Clean Cooking and Energy Access that was endorsed by the G20 Energy Ministers.
- Partnered with the UK’s COP26 Presidency on an Energy Transition Campaign and Council to support countries transition from fossil fuels to clean energy, with SEforALL’s CEO/SRSG, named Co-Chair of the Council.
- Provided support for governments in their COVID-19 economic recovery plans, including through a series of Recover Better with Sustainable Energy guides.
- Collaborated with Nigeria’s Rural Electrification Agency (REA) to support implementation of the largest government-driven off-grid electrification project on the continent, Solar Power Naija, with the goal to electrify 5 million households (25 million people) with off-grid solar while creating 250,000 jobs by localizing the solar value chain. This has spurred further opportunities in Nigeria.
- Launched the fourth annual Energizing Finance research series, generating coverage in 16 countries, including through interviews with the CEO/SRSG on CNBC Africa and BBC World Service’s Focus on Africa.
- Organized a multi-day workshop and published a reference guide on data standards for integrated energy planning, bringing together 70 experts in the fields of data collection, energy modelling, clean cooking and off- and on-grid electrification.
- Provided input and support to National Cooling Action Plans processes in eight countries; published the 2020 edition of the Chilling Prospects report.