SEforALL always looks worldwide for innovative and enthusiastic young professionals enrolled in postgraduate programmes or recent postgraduates. Interning at SEforALL is an excellent opportunity to gain real work experience and develop competencies in an international environment within the energy access sector. The internship programme aims to expose interns to the energy and development space and provide them with meaningful assignments directly contributing to achieving the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7.
Why being an intern at SEforALL
To build a wide set of skills
SEforALL interns are typically directly involved in several tasks and activities, and at times to work across teams. Colleagues are very supportive and open to sharing not only instructions but also their knowledge and experience. Interns may have responsibilities across more functions and will build a variety of professional and personal skills with multiple tasks. This context will enable them to quickly learn new skills and gain real world experience in areas they have not been exposed to before.
To meet dedicated people who share your interests
Interning at SEforALL brings you in daily contact with people who are there for the same reasons you are - to achieve SDG7 and make a difference to the world. Nothing brings more motivation than working directly with a group of people who are dedicated to the same mission. Your SEforALL colleagues will be supporting the start of your career journey, and help you build a great network of professionals.
To gain direct access to decision-makers
The structure at SEforALL is less hierarchical compared with other large-scale international organizations. Interns can therefore take advantage of our smaller internal community by interacting with the managers, demonstrating deliverables with wider teams, learning from the best as well as getting reinvigorated from a closer and supportive team.
To be valued and recognized as a professional
Intern’s work and support is highly valued at SEforALL. We praise their contribution and ensure they receive continuous feedback to help them improve and grow professionally and personally. This is also reflected in the fact that SEforALL internships are always paid. We believe work should always be paid, and our interns deserve a fair compensation for the great contribution they bring to the organization.
Become an intern at SEforALL
Internships are for a minimum of three months and up to a maximum of eight months in total, depending on the teams’ needs. The initial date of the internship shall be set based on interns’ availability dates and the SEforALL hiring teams’ schedules. Interns are expected to work full-time (40 hours/week) to carry out the duties assigned to them by their supervisors.
We recruit interns on a cyclical basis annually with the following tentative timeline:
Only a limited number of internships are available for each term. The needs of the SEforALL teams and budget availability will determine how many interns can be recruited in each period. Internship selections are based on eligibility criteria, academic background, expertise, and motivation. Previous work experience is considered an asset. The HR Team will contact only shortlisted candidates for an interview. In some cases, depending on the requirements, the interview may be accompanied by a written test.
While working at SEforALL, interns are not considered to be staff members, and there is no expectation of fulltime employment as a regular staff member with SEforALL during or following completion of the internship. However, the same regular staff rules and obligations bind interns.
Are you the one we are looking for?
Applicants to the SEforALL internship programme must be committed to SEforALL’s mission and demonstrate a passion for sustainable development. At the time of application, they should also meet the following requirements:
- Education: candidates must be enrolled in a relevant Master’s or PhD degree programme or have recently graduated with a Master’s degree or PhD.
- Language: candidates must be fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of French, Arabic and other UN languages is highly desirable.
- Availability: candidates must be available for a minimum full-time internship of three months, and then can be spread over up to a maximum of eight months.
- Skills: candidates should be capable of working in a multicultural and international team environment and have good communication and IT skills.
- Family relation: candidates should not be a family member of an SEforALL employee who is under any contract (fulltime staff contract or consultant contract).
- Most internships require no work experience. However, previous experiences may be an advantage in the selection process.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
Teams and Duties
Successful candidates will be recruited to work within one or more of SEforALL’s work programmes, depending on SeforALL’s needs. Current SEforALL teams include:
External facing programmes:
- Clean Cooking
- Energy Finance
- Energy Efficiency
- Policy and Regulatory Framework
- Powering Healthcare
- UN Energy
- Universal Integrated Energy Planning
- Results-Based Financing
- Women and Youth at the Forefront
- Resource Mobilization
- MEL, Data and Research
- Executive Office
- Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Cooling for All
- Human Resources
- Finance and Operations
For more information on SEforALL teams, please visit this page.
For specific team roles, please visit this page.
Additional information you may be interested in
The selection process consists of six main stages:
- Call for applications from interested candidates.
- Online application: CV and motivation letter.
- Pre-screening: all applications are screened by the hiring managers, and suitable candidates are placed on a shortlist made available to SEforALL Human Resources for subsequent recruitment and selection steps.
- Interview and/or Written Test: hiring teams invite candidates to a face to face or virtual interview. This step may include an online written test or exercise.
- Offer letter: The successful candidate/s receive an e-mail with their internship offer letter from the SEforALL Human Resources team.
- Onboarding: HR and the hiring teams manage the onboarding activities for the successful candidate/s.
Interns are provided with a stipend calculated as a daily fee. The amount of the intern’s fee is fixed and not negotiable and dependent on the duty station. SEforALL will fund any business-related travel expenses during the internship according to existing travel policies applicable to regular staff. No additional remuneration or other benefits of any kind are paid to interns.
How to apply?
Throughout the year, SEforALL will advertise on its website the calls for applications for internships. When the calls for applications are open, interested applicants should submit their application via our online application platform. The application will require the applicants to submit a copy of their latest CV accompanied by a motivation letter and respond to a few administration-related questions. No applications will be accepted after the set deadlines.
For more information, interested interns are encouraged to read the FAQs before submitting their applications.
Note to applicants
SEforALL does not keep a roster of applicants. If your application is unsuccessful, you are welcome to apply again to subsequent vacancy publications. Please closely monitor our website for fur