Energy for Displaced People
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is helping bring energy access to some of the world’s most vulnerable people.
In 2018, there were 70.8 million forcibly displaced people worldwide. With the growing number of displaced people, including refugees, comes the challenge of ensuring they have access to electricity and clean cooking for their well-being and livelihoods. The challenge is compounded by the fact that most displaced people end up in developing regions where energy poverty is already a problem for the local population.
SEforALL is addressing the issue of how to bring energy access to displaced populations and affected communities by focusing on the following 3 goals:
- Defining the problem - SEforALL works with partners to raise awareness of the critical role energy plays in enabling the delivery of services in humanitarian response. We collaborate with key stakeholders and data custodians from both the energy access and humanitarian sectors to ensure that data to track progress is prioritized in benchmarking reports.
- Enhancing capacity of key players - SEforALL facilitates the increased coordination between energy interventions and key stakeholders in the humanitarian sector at a country level, while also further aligning global advocacy efforts. SEforALL will also contribute to the development of energy indicators and standards in the humanitarian sector, as well as advocate for their adoption by key humanitarian agencies.
- Harnessing the private sector - SEforALL works with partners to demonstrate the increased potential for private sector engagement and action in specific target countries. We will identify and enable a clear channel for business engagement with the humanitarian sector.
Key collaborations and partnerships include:
- The Global Plan of Action for Sustainable Energy Solutions in Situations of Displacement (of which SEforALL is on the Steering Group).
- UNHCR, in particular for the upcoming Global Refugee Forum (December 2019, Geneva), as co-sponsor of the Energy & Infrastructure Track.
- The Smart Communities Coalition, which SEforALL has joined as a collaborator.