Electrification: RISE Energy Access vs Business Environment
Which countries have an enabling environment for investment in energy access?
- RISE offers policy makers and investors detailed country- level insights on the policy and regulatory environment for sustainable energy across 111 countries globally.
- To enable private sector businesses to start, operate and expand their activities, and eventually deliver clean, affordable and reliable energy, an enabling business environment is required. Doing Business ranks economies from 1-190. A high ease of doing business ranking means the regulatory environment is more conducive to the starting and operation of a local firm.
- By looking at how countries perform on RISE and Doing Business, it is possible to get a sense of where progress is needed on the enabling environments to support energy access and energy market development.
- Those high-impact countries that score in the upper range on RISE tend to also rank higher on Doing Business, however progress is still needed on the regulatory environment
NOTES: 1. Regulatory Indicators for Sustainable Energy (RISE) is a suite of indicators that assesses the legal and regulatory environment for investment in sustainable energy.
2. ‘Electrification plan approved and monitored’ refers to the existence and monitoring of officially approved electrification plans.
3. ‘Quality of electrification plan’ refers to the quality of officially approved electrification plans.
SOURCE: Regulatory Indicators for Sustainable Energy (RISE), World Bank Group, 2017. Data extracted from http://rise.esmap.org/ on 06/23/2017.