This programme advances dedicated solutions to the various challenges hindering progress on the development and delivery of clean cooking solutions.
Around 3 billion people lack access to clean cooking solutions, creating a wide range of adverse social, economic and climate outcomes. Finance for clean cooking solutions is far below the estimated USD 4.4 billion required annually to 2030 to ensure universal access. The clean cooking sector is fragmented and dispersed, and more coordination and resources are required to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7) target on clean cooking.
Our Clean Cooking programme will undertake five strategic activities to help overcome these challenges:
- Clean cooking data platform: Lead innovative approaches to data collection and analysis and create a platform that disseminates reliable field data to catalyse action by market players and inform investment.
- Research, development and demonstration: Design and promote financing solutions to fill market funding gaps, specifically for early-stage innovation through a planned USD 20 million clean cooking research, development and early-stage demonstration fund.
- Clean cooking market catalyst platform: Provide integrated and streamlined support to governments, funders, consumers and the private sector through a platform that functions as a one-stop-shop for information, technical assistance and finance.
- Technical and partnership support: Develop clean cooking country briefs, information dashboards and knowledge products to support sector development, convening as necessary.
- Communication and advocacy: Implement a communication and advocacy strategy that includes targeted knowledge products that quantify and clarify the social, economic and climate dividends of expanding clean cooking access.