Energy Efficiency for Sustainable Development
As energy efficiency is not "visible", it is often not given the policy and investment priority it needs to deliver the Sustainable Development Goals. As a result, the energy efficiency rate of improvement has declined, leaving it well below the level needed to achieve the SDG 7.3 target. However, energy efficiency has the potential to cost-effectively contribute 40 percent of the emissions savings goals of the Paris Agreement, can accelerate SDG 7.1 energy access progress and support increasing the “share” of renewable energy needed to achieve SDG 7.2.
SEforALL seeks partnerships to support strategic interventions that will drive action towards delivering and achieving energy efficiency commitments, to strengthen the enabling environment for investment in energy efficiency infrastructure and projects that will deliver energy efficiency and sustainable development progress. To operationalize this objective, we see three distinct stages to support our theory of change:
- Elevate energy efficiency: advocating for energy efficiency in global agendas, creating a clear narrative to advocate for energy efficiency, convening partners and matching solution offers
- Support energy efficiency: Three Percent Club partners to deliver strategic support and technical assistance in countries on key issues for high impact sectors
- Invest in energy efficiency: project implementation delivered through loans, grants and incentives for infrastructure and projects by member countries, funds and financial institution partners
SEforALL and partners support progress to enable energy efficiency investment in:
- Buildings: energy efficient and sustainable buildings with the Building Efficiency Accelerator, Zero Carbon Building Accelerator, GlobalABC and partners
- Cities: energy efficient and sustainable cities with networks, such as C40, Global Covenant of Mayors, the World Economic Forum Net Zero Carbon Cities program and partners
- Energy supply: efficient and sustainable generation, distribution and transmission of energy with the District Energy Initiative and partners
- Industry: efficient, sustainable and productive industries with Industrial Energy Accelerator, Mission Possible Partnership and partners
- Products: energy efficient and sustainable appliances, technologies and materials with United for Efficiency, Efficiency for Access and partners
- Services: effective energy efficiency services with Global ESCO Network and partners
- Transport: energy efficient and sustainable mobility with Sustainable Mobility for All, Global Fuel Economy Initiative and partners
SEforALL will support partners and countries to increase or redirect spending to cost-effective energy efficiency investments. To support this goal, activities will include working with partners to support developing and enhancing public commitments in 20 countries, support capacity building on energy efficiency for 40 countries, and generating evidence and a clear narrative of energy efficiency with enhanced tools and resources accessible to more people, in more countries, across more languages.
Key partner initiatives
Three Percent Club: Member countries and partner organizations supporting progress to achieve a global 3 percent annual improvement in energy efficiency.
Energy Efficiency Accelerators: Driving action and commitments by national and sub-national leaders across buildings, lighting, appliances, district energy systems, industry and transportation sectors.
International Energy Agency - Energy Efficiency: Tracking global energy efficiency progress, investment, policies and providing capacity building resources.